Ms. Deemer is a writer, executive coach, and co-author of Dancing on the Glass Ceiling (McGraw-Hill 2003). Her articles have appeared in national publications, and she has spoken to professional groups and university students in the U.S. and Europe about the challenges facing professional women, and what they can do to achieve their highest career aspirations.
Candy’s “first career” was advertising. She spent 22 years in client services and general agency management, primarily with DDB Worldwide Communications in Chicago and Los Angeles. She was Co-Managing Director/Chief Operating Officer of the agency’s Los Angeles office. She has served on the Boards of Directors of the American Advertising Museum and Students in Free Enterprise, a non-profit organization founded by Sam Walton to promote understanding of the free enterprise system among college students.
Candy is a founding partner, and currently serves on the Board of Directors of Los Angeles Social Venture Partners (www.lasvp.org), a diverse group of professionals who are pioneering a new, high-engagement model of nonprofit giving—Venture Philanthropy.
Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism: MS, Advertising 1977
Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism: BS, Advertising 1976
Coaches Training Institute: Certified Professional Co-Active Coach
Marshall Goldsmith Stakeholder Centered Coaching: Certified Stakeholder Centered Coach - for Individuals and Teams
Areas of Expertise (5)
Professional Growth Planning
Industry Expertise (3)
Writing and Editing
Professional Training and Coaching
1997 Medill’s Hall of Achievement (professional)
Awards + Honors
- Los Angeles Social Venture Partners Founding Partner and Board of Directors (former member)
- Northwestern University Alumni Association Secretary
- Medill School of Journalism (Northwestern University) Board of Advisers
- Northwestern University Council of One Hundred Charter Member and former Chair
- American Advertising Museum Board of Directors (former member)
- Student in Free Enterprise Board of Directors (former member)