Jim Davies is an associate professor in the Institute of Cognitive Science at Carleton University. He is the author of Riveted: The Science of Why Jokes Make us Laugh, Movies Make us Cry, and Religion Makes us Feel One with the Universe. Director of the Science of Imagination Laboratory, he explores processes of visualization in humans and machines and specializes in artificial intelligence, analogy, problem-solving, and the psychology of art, religion, and creativity. His work has shown how people use visual thinking to solve problems, and how they visualize imagined situations and worlds.
In his spare time, he is a published poet, an internationally-produced playwright, and a professional painter, calligrapher, and swing dancer.
Industry Expertise (1)
Areas of Expertise (7)
Georgia Institute of Technology: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Computer Science 2004
State University of New York College at Oswego: BA, philosophy 1993
Queen's University: Bioinformatics 2006
- American Psychological Association
- Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence
- Cognitive Science Society
- Canadian Network for Innovation in Education
- International Association for the Cognitive Science of Religion
- Canadian Science Writers' Association
- International Association for Empirical Aesthetics