Areas of Expertise (5)
Kidney disease and kidney failure are major health concerns among patients of all ages. When the kidneys fail, dialysis keeps the body in balance. Tamara M. Kear, Ph.D., RN, CNN is an expert in kidney failure and the treatment options available to patients, includinging hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and renal transplantation.
Dr. Kear’s scholarship focuses on safety in nephrology settings. She and her research colleague conducted the first national studies investigating the culture of safety and nurse safety in nephrology practice settings. The findings from these studies have been published and presented broadly. Dr. Kear also conducted the first study investigating patient handoff, another safety concern across nephrology settings.
Villanova University: PhD
Thomas Jefferson University: MSN
Gwynedd-Mercy College: BSN
Gwynedd-Mercy College: ASN
Select Accomplishments (3)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Collaborator (professional)
Dr. Kear traveled to Atlanta to speak at the CDC in 2016 and continues to collaborate with the CDC on educational initiatives for nephrology nurses that are distributed nationally.
Recipient of the 2013 Research Abstract Award by the American Nephrology Nurses' Association (ANNA) (professional)
2013 Tamara M. Kear, Ph.D., R.N., CNN, received the 2013 Research Abstract Award from the American Nephrology Nurses' Association (ANNA), for her presentation "Hypertension in Haitian Migrant Communities in the Dominican Republic: An Investigation of Rural Bateyes." She has made several trips to the country with nursing students who monitor blood pressures of hundreds of adult and discuss risk factors, management and medications.
Recipient of the Apha Nu Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing's Research Award (professional)
- President Elect of the American Nephrology Nurses Association (ANNA)
- Research Consultant for Main Line Health
- Editorial Board, Nephrology Nursing Journal
- Scientific Advisory Board Member for Kibow Biotech, Inc.
- On the Stakeholders Committee for the Centers for Disease Control Making Dialysis Safer for Patients Coalition
- Legal Nurse Consultant/Expert Witness
- Nephrology Nurse, Fresenius Kidney Care
- Clinical Editor, Nursing Practice Division; A Wolters Kluwer Company
- Member of Technical Expert Panel to assist The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services examine feasibility of implementing a Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) Survey for dialysis patients
Research Grants (5)
Investigating Patient Hand-Off Across Nephrology Settings
American Nephrology Nurses Association (ANNA)
Investigating Hand-off Communication in Nephrology Nurse Practice Settings
Barbara F. Prowant Nursing Research Grant
Examining the Impact of Self-Reported Engagement and Patterns of Nursing Contact on Health Utilization Outcomes Over Time
Newcourtland Center for Transitions and Health
Supporting Investigation of the Patient Safety Culture in Nephrology Nurse Practice Settings
American Association of Kidney Patients: Jenny Kitsen Patient Safety Award
Hemodialysis Catheter Outcomes: No Dressing Coverage and Randomized Prescribed Showering Study
American Nephrology Nurses Association
Select Academic Articles (5)
Ulrich, B & Kear, T.
Park, Seri; Kear, Tamara M
Hain, D. J., and T. M. Kear
Kear, T. & Ulrich, B.