As Counsel, Global Legal Operations Tyler has responsibility for providing legal support to McCain Foods Limited and numerous subsidiary companies around the world. Tyler has provided advice with respect to business in more than 45 countries. He has primary responsibility for providing counsel relating to McCain’s Canadian, Central and South American operations, McCain International Inc., McCain’s Global Technology Centre and the One McCain Project – one of the largest projects in McCain’s history involving standardizing the way McCain does business around the globe. Tyler also supports, along with other members of our legal team, business operations in Australia and New Zealand.
Tyler is a strong advocate for optimization and efficiency, and is responsible for assisting McCain’s Chief Legal Officer with the operations side of the global legal department, including developing a knowledge management system for the global legal team and streamlining McCain’s network of over 145 external law firms around the world. Tyler leads McCain’s efforts in conceptualizing and implementing innovative alternative billing arrangements, negotiating rates, discount levels and Master Retainer Agreements with each of its external service providers. Tyler plays a leadership role in several global initiatives within McCain, including its global privacy law compliance program and records retention initiative.
Tyler is extensively involved in volunteer work for the betterment of his professional and personal communities. Involvement includes:
• Director of the New Brunswick Regional Services Commission, District 12
• National Executive Committee Member for the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association, where Tyler also sits on the Certification Committee
• Vice President of the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (NB Branch)
• Chairman of the Carelton North Community Foundation (a NB registered charitable foundation with more than $2.2M in assets whose mandate is to “improve, enhance and strengthen the quality of life of the citizens in the area”)
• Chairman of the Local Service District of Simonds
• Member of the Rural Planning Committee for the South Central Carleton County NB Rural Plan
• Volunteer Reader with the McCain Literacy Group, where Tyler has read with an elementary/middle school child regularily for the past 4 years
Industry Expertise (7)
Areas of Expertise (6)
Omnium Award for Excellence in Leadership (personal)
Tyler was awarded the Omnium Award for Excellence in Leadership, an award granted to “an exceptional student who has demonstrated excellence in leadership in a variety of settings."
2013 Up and Comer Award (professional)
Awarded to a member of the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association with less than 10 years in-house experience who has had strong participation within the legal profession and the organisation they serve.
St. Gallen University: Global Executive MBA, International Business
University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management: MBA, Business
Event Appearances (2)
Transaction in a Day
Continuing Legal Education CCCA
IFRS – an In-house Perspective
Continuing Legal Education CCCA