Covering Breast Cancer Awareness Month? Our experts are ready for your questions and coverageOctober 1, 20212 min read
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Did you know that on average, every 2 minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer in the United States.
And according to the National Breast Cancer Foundation:
- In 2021, an estimated 281,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women in the U.S. as well as 49,290 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
- 63% of breast cancer cases are diagnosed at a localized stage (there is no sign that the cancer has spread outside of the breast), for which the 5-year survival rate is 99%.
- This year, an estimated 43,600 women will die from breast cancer in the U.S.
- Although rare, men get breast cancer too. In 2021, an estimated 2,650 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year in the U.S. and approximately 530 will die.
- 1 in 8 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer in American women, except for skin cancers. It is estimated that in 2021, approximately 30% of all new women cancer diagnoses will be breast cancer.
- There are over 3.8 million breast cancer survivors in the United States.
This year's theme is It's Time to Rise and the National Breast Cancer Foundation has a host of materials to watch and read for anyone looking to test themselves, find support or learn how they can help.
If you're a journalist looking to know more about this topic or if you are covering Breast Cancer Awareness month - then let our experts help with your stories.
Dr. Alicia Vinyard is a Board-Certified General Surgeon and Fellowship Trained Breast Surgical Oncologist at the Georgia Cancer Center and Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University. Dr. Vinyard is also an expert in breast cancer, cancer surgery and cancer survivorship. She is available to speak to media about Breast Cancer Awareness Month – simply click on her icon to now arrange an interview today.
Alicia Arnold Breast Surgical Oncologist
Dr. Alicia Vinyard is an expert in breast cancer, cancer surgery and cancer survivorship.