Safety steps schools need to take now to prepare for armed intruders ahead of new school yearAugust 3, 20223 min read
WHAT: Millions of American children will soon be returning to the classroom. Recent events have safety top of mind for school faculty, staff, parents and communities.
WHO: While schools across the nation have taken steps to improve safety, vulnerable areas can be overlooked. Vigilance and preparedness are key to keeping children safe while in school. When looking to safeguard your campus, students, faculty and staff, Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I. (a stock insurer)1 and its affiliate CM Regent Insurance Company®, which insures public schools, offer three action steps schools should be taking now to prepare for the 2022-23 school year and the potential for armed intruders:
- Facility Maintenance – Inspect exterior and interior doors and ensure locks are in working order; examine landscaping and keep tree branches, bushes and shrubs trimmed so people cannot hide in greenery; confirm all parking lot and exterior lighting is in working order; and check campus security equipment and cameras to verify all are working properly.
- Emergency Plan – Preparedness includes development of an emergency action plan. Reassess your school’s emergency action plan to confirm all areas are covered and review or designate who will do what in an emergency. Meet with local law enforcement to review your plan and your facilities with them, and to ensure you have alignment of roles and responsibilities during an emergency situation.
- Action – Practice, drills and ongoing communication with faculty, staff and parents are paramount for creating a safer campus.
REMEMBER: These steps can help school administrators and leadership create safer campuses for children, parents, faculty, staff and communities.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES: For additional safety resources for educational facilities, visit Safety Resources for Educational Facilities - Church Mutual and Armed Intruder | Trending Topics | Risk Control | Church Mutual.
About CM Regent®
This affiliate company of Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I. leverages Church Mutual’s insurance expertise to meet the unique needs of K-12 school districts, colleges and universities. Coverages include commercial property and liability insurance, workers’ compensation, school leaders’ legal liabilities, excess liability, privacy protection, owner-controlled insurance and a variety of employee benefit products for public schools in Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Vermont and Wisconsin.
About Church Mutual
Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I., founded in 1897, offers specialized insurance for religious organizations of all denominations, public and private K-12 schools, colleges and universities, senior living facilities, secular and non-secular camps and conference centers, and nonprofit and human services organizations throughout the United States. Church Mutual markets most lines of commercial property and liability insurance, including multi-peril, workers' compensation, and commercial auto insurance. In addition to insurance, Church Mutual provides a spectrum of value-added solutions that benefit its customers. Church Mutual holds the following honors:
• A.M. Best Company "A" (excellent) rating
• Wisconsin 75 Top Private Company by Deloitte US, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
• Wisconsin 75 Distinguished Performer: Innovation by Deloitte US 2019
• 2021 Gallup Culture Transformation Award recipient
• 2020 Women and Diversity Award recipient from the American Property Casualty Insurance Association
• Futuremakers Partner by Wisconsin Technical College System
• Celent Model Insurer for innovation and emerging technologies
• Award in Innovation for entrepreneurialism and innovation by National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies
• 2018-2019 Employer of the Year by Northcentral Technical College
1Church Mutual is a stock insurer whose policyholders are members of the parent mutual holding company formed on 1/1/20. S.I. = a stock insurer.
# # #
Eric Spacek Assistant Vice President - Risk Control
Eric Offers Insight into Risk Management and Crisis Response Protocols for Houses of Worship and Other Facilities.