Two Years: CM Wildfire Solutions™ Achieves 730-Day, No-Structures-Lost MilestoneSeptember 30, 20223 min read
More than $25 million in damages avoided
MERRILL, Wis. – Two years, or 730 days, have passed since a Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I.1, customer has experienced fire loss due to wildfire. This achievement is a direct result of the CM Wildfire Solutions program and the diligent team that administers it. The last time an insured structure was lost to wildfire in a CM Solutions-eligible state was in the Glass Fire in California on Sept. 29, 2020. Church Mutual estimates it has saved more than $25.1 million in facilities damage due to wildfires since then.
“Although we have achieved more than 730 days without a Church Mutual-insured building succumbing to fire, we know wildfires are unpredictable and merciless, so it’s important to remain vigilant – especially with two months of an already active fire season still ahead,” said Eric Spacek, assistant vice president and wildfire prevention head at Church Mutual.
Church Mutual’s CM Wildfire Solutions program uses sophisticated technology to track a wildfire and determine its path. If an insured facility is in the predicted path of the fire, wildfire suppression trucks are dispatched to clear nearby debris and, if necessary, spray a fire-retardant gel on the building to protect it. The company also works with its customers to prepare facilities ahead of fire season and mitigate possible risks to their facilities.
Church Mutual’s achievement is remarkable considering the historic nature of the 2020 and 2021 wildfire seasons. According to CAL FIRE, the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, 2020 was the largest wildfire season recorded in California's modern history. And 2021 saw an estimated 2.6 million acres burned.
So far in 2022, Church Mutual has:
• Issued 282 wildfire alerts.
• Dispatched trucks to four fires.
• Saved more than $3.7 million in losses.
“The National Interagency Fire Center forecasts significant wildland fire potential throughout the West through December 2022 due to persisting drought conditions,” added Spacek. “The CM Wildfire Solutions team will remain on deck to keep threatened buildings protected. Our goal is to ensure our customers can continue serving their communities.”
About Church Mutual
Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I., founded in 1897, offers specialized insurance for religious organizations of all denominations, public and private K-12 schools, colleges and universities, senior living facilities, secular and non-secular camps and conference centers, and nonprofit and human services organizations throughout the United States. Church Mutual markets most lines of commercial property and liability insurance, including multi-peril, workers' compensation and commercial auto insurance. In addition to insurance, Church Mutual provides a spectrum of value-added solutions that benefit its customers. Church Mutual holds the following honors:
• A.M. Best Company "A" (excellent) rating.
• Wisconsin 75 Top Private Company by Deloitte US, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 , 2021 and 2022.
• Wisconsin 75 Distinguished Performer: Innovation by Deloitte US 2019.
• 2021 Gallup Culture Transformation Award recipient.
• 2022 Social Equity and Community Empowerment Property and Casualty Company Award recipient from the American Property Casualty Insurance Association.
• 2020 Women and Diversity Award recipient from the American Property Casualty Insurance Association.
• Elite 50 Internship Award recipient from Rising Insurance Star Executives.
• Futuremakers Partner by Wisconsin Technical College System.
• Celent Model Insurer for innovation and emerging technologies.
• Award in Innovation for entrepreneurialism and innovation by National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies.
• 2018-2019 Employer of the Year by Northcentral Technical College.
# # #
1Church Mutual is a stock insurer whose policyholders are members of the parent mutual holding company formed on 1/1/20. S.I. = a stock insurer.
Eric Spacek Assistant Vice President - Risk Control
Eric Offers Insight into Risk Management and Crisis Response Protocols for Houses of Worship and Other Facilities.