For Third Consecutive Year, ChristianaCare Named One of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for 2023 by HealthgradesJanuary 18, 20233 min read
ChristianaCare among the top 1% of more than 4,500 hospitals nationwide
For the third consecutive year, ChristianaCare has earned Healthgrades America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award™ and is among the top 1% of more than 4,500 hospitals assessed nationwide for consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance.
ChristianaCare’s Christiana Hospital and Wilmington Hospital are the only hospitals in Delaware to receive the America’s 50 Best Hospitals recognition.
“At ChristianaCare, we are committed to being exceptional today and even better tomorrow. This recognition as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals is a testament to the incredible work that our caregivers do every day to ensure safe, high-quality care and an outstanding experience for our patients,” said Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH, president and CEO. “I am deeply grateful for our extraordinary caregivers and for the trust we’ve earned from the communities we are privileged to serve.”
ChristianaCare also received the following distinctions from Healthgrades:
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care Award™ for 2 years in a row (2022-2023).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Coronary Intervention Award™ in 2023.
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Surgery Award™ for 12 years in a row (2012-2023).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery Award™ for 10 years in a row (2014-2023).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement Award™ for 8 years in a row (2016-2023).
- America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Surgical Care for 2 years in a row (2022-2023).
- “Achieving the prestigious Healthgrades recognition year after year after year only occurs when you have a workforce whose standard is care that is safe and of the highest quality,” said Kert Anzilotti, M.D., MBA, chief medical officer of ChristianaCare. “This recognition belongs to all the members of our clinical team, who hold themselves to the highest professional standards.”
Healthgrades evaluated patient mortality and complication rates for 31 of the most common conditions and procedures at nearly 4,500 hospitals across the country to identify the top-performing hospitals. This year’s analysis revealed significant variation between America’s Best 50 Hospitals and hospitals that did not receive the distinction. In fact, if all hospitals performed similarly to America’s 50 Best, more than 150,000 lives could potentially have been saved. Patients treated for heart failure at ChristianaCare and other 2023 America’s 50 Best Hospitals have, on average, a 22.8% lower risk of dying than if they were treated at a hospital that did not receive the award.*
“We’re proud to recognize ChristianaCare as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for 2023,” said Brad Bowman, M.D., chief medical officer and head of Data at Healthgrades. “As one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals, ChristianaCare consistently delivers better-than-expected outcomes for the patients in their community and is setting a high national standard for clinical excellence.”
Visit www.Healthgrades.com/quality/americas-best-hospitals for an in-depth look at ChristianaCare’s performance and profile to explore its highest quality care. Consumers also can visit Healthgrades.com for more information on how Healthgrades measures hospital quality, and access the complete methodology here. A patient-friendly overview of the complete methodology is available here.
*Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2019 through 2021 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only.
Kert Anzilotti, M.D., MBA Chief Medical Officer
Kert Anzilotti is an expert in the optimization of care delivery through strategic visioning and leveraging medical informatics.