Being part of ExpertFile means sharing information about yourself with other professionals, communicating with them, as well as working privately on your own. The amount and type of information you and your organization decide to share, and with whom you share it, is up to you.
Here are the three main types of information on ExpertFile:
Information about yourself that you share: This is the information that other parties on ExpertFile as well as your specific connections, see about you. This includes your profile and your contributions to any discussion groups blogs or other community features ExpertFile may offer. You have control over what you share, and you can update information at any time.
Communication: We help you communicate with other professionals. You decide how much or how little you wish to communicate to other individuals and organizations who use ExpertFile.
Private activity: We will also provide tools that you can use privately on ExpertFile (for example, searching, or adding notes to your connections and booking information.) These actions and information are private and we will not share or distribute them to others on the website.
Of course, maintaining your trust is our top concern, so we adhere to the following principles to protect your privacy:
- We do not rent, sell, or otherwise provide your personally identifiable information to third parties for marketing purposes.
- We do not share any information you have not chosen to display on your ExpertFile profile to other parties, unless compelled by law, or as necessary to enforce our User Agreement or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of ExpertFile, its Users, and the public.
- All information that you provide will be protected with industry standard protocols and technology.
1. Personal information collected
We collect information:
- When you register an account to become a ExpertFile user ("User"), such as your name, e-mail, biography, organization, country, and a password.
- When you conduct activities such as adding to your profile with further information about yourself and your organization and other communications with ExpertFile users (such as connection and booking activities).
- We automatically receive from your Internet use information such as your IP address, the URLs of sites from which you arrive or when you leave the ExpertFile website, your type of browser, your operating system, your mobile provider, your mobile device, and your ISP.
- We retain information you provide in connection with third party services available through ExpertFile such as surveys and polls or other third party research undertaken with your consent.
- We may collect information through the ExpertFile website or through our customer service website in order to, among other things, accurately categorize and respond to customer inquiries and investigate breaches of our terms.
2. Uses of personal information
We use the information you provide to:
- Enable you to share your information and communicate with other Users, or provide your personal details to third parties offering combined services with ExpertFile;
- Administer your account with us and customize the service we provide to you and other Users; and to
- Send you service or promotional communications through email and notices on the ExpertFile website.
We do not sell, rent, or otherwise provide your personal identifiable information to any third parties for marketing purposes. We also provide you with the means to control whether or not your contact information is viewable to other Users through your profile.
Please note that in order to deliver certain services (for example, ExpertFile Premium Services), we may share information with third parties. For example, to process subscription payments made by you or your organization, we share some of this information with the payment processing company we use.
3. Your information choices
- Review, enhance or edit your personal information through your personal profile page;
- Choose what information you make available to search engines through your profile;
- Control the messages you receive from ExpertFile and other Users and how these messages are sent;
- Change your settings to control visibility and accessibility through our website; and
- Tell us to close your ExpertFile account.
In the course of serving advertisements or optimizing the Services to our Users, we may allow authorized third parties to place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. Any information provided to third parties through cookies will not be personally identifiable but may provide general segment information (e.g., your industry category or geography or information about your professional background) for greater customization of your user experience. Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent.
5. Your obligations
As a User, you have certain obligations to other Users. Some of these obligations are imposed by applicable law and regulations, and others have become commonplace in online communities such as ExpertFile:
- You must not download or otherwise disseminate any information that may be deemed to be injurious, violent, offensive, racist or xenophobic, or which may otherwise violate the purpose and spirit of ExpertFile and its community of Users.
- You must not provide to ExpertFile and/or other Users information that you believe might be injurious or detrimental to your person or to your professional or social status.
- You must keep your username and password confidential and not share it with others.
Any violation of these guidelines may lead to the restriction, suspension or termination of your account at the sole discretion of ExpertFile.
In order to help secure your personal information, access to your data on ExpertFile is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as credit card information) is protected by SSL encryption when it is exchanged between your web browser and the ExpertFile website. To protect any data you store on our servers, ExpertFile also regularly audits its system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we use a tier-one secured-access data center. However, since the Internet is not a 100% secure environment, we cannot ensure or warrant warrant the security of any information you transmit to ExpertFile. There is no guarantee that information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. It is your responsibility to protect the security of your login information. Please note that emails, instant messaging, and similar means of communication with other Users of ExpertFile may not be encrypted, and we strongly advise you not to communicate any confidential information through these means.
7. Other important information
Children and minors
Children are not eligible to use our service and we ask that minors (under the age of 18) do not submit any personal information to us or use the service.
Please note that by becoming a User, you have given us your express and informed consent to transfer the data that you provide to us and to process it on our servers in the United States and Canada. ExpertFile Inc. subscribes to the privacy principles set out in the Government of Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
How to contact us
ExpertFile Inc. 2016